For academic monographs, journals, or open educational resources (OER), please send the proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org
Balestier Press welcome submissions of translated literature. For proposals of literary translation works, please send a synopsis, a sample translation with information about the author and the translator to email@example.com for consideration.
For submission of book proposals for Balestier Press (except for Academic or Translated Literature titles), please follow the guidelines of our submission/review platform below:
Balestier Press and bibliodiversity
Do you have a complete manuscript ready to be published? Balestier Press aims to support (biblio)diversity in publishing and authors with original voices and unique ideas.
Through our submission/review platform (Biblio@Balestier), we aim to publish the best original works that may not initially have the market support for publication. Since authors are collaborating with the publisher on the finance (personal funds, institutional grants, or crowdfunding) and the editorial process, we can create high-quality books and make available with reviews/publicity. The authors get high royalties of 50% from the net income for all the formats including paperback, hardcover and e-book, and retains the rights of the book; and when there is another opportunity, the authors can always license the publication rights.
Types of original manuscripts we accept:
- Fiction fitting the range of Balestier Press titles
- Children’s books, picture books and graphic novels
- Poetry and short stories
- Literary studies, the anthology
- Humanities, social and natural sciences for general audience
Our judging criteria include whether the work is original, and whether the publication contributes to cultural diversity in the writing and publishing world.
How to submit?
There are two ways of submitting your manuscript:
- Fill in the online form here.
- Send us an email on the address firstname.lastname@example.org including your manuscript (or part of the manuscript), synopsis (up to 250 words) and a covering letter including your full name, address, phone number, email, and a brief bio.
NOTE: Your manuscript must be original, and written primarily in English. For formatting, please use Microsoft Word (12pt, Times New Roman) or equivalent.
What will happen next?
- Our editors and advisors will read your manuscript. We will contact you and inform you whether your manuscript fulfils the requirements of Balestier Press. This stage can take up to six weeks so please be patient. However, if you have any questions, feel free to contact us with your inquiry any time.
- If your manuscript is accepted, we will discuss whether the manuscript requires further development editing and copyediting/proofreading for the publishing standards. For development editing, copyediting/proofreading services you can either work with one of our editors or you can find an editor on your own.
- We will estimate the publication cost, and discuss various possible options for financing the book (in terms of personal funds, institutional grants, or crowdfunding).
- We will explain all the steps which need to be taken before the book will be published so you have a complete understanding of the whole publishing process. We will send you a publishing contract to sign.
- A publication timeline will be created, and we will discuss with you on ideas about the book cover. We want you to be part of making the book all the time, therefore, we will keep you informed about all the steps during the whole process.
- We will send the proofs to you for the final approval. If you are happy with the result. The book can go into the print!
Finance your book
Once your manuscript is accepted, we will discuss various possible options for financing the book (in terms of personal funds, institutional grants, or crowdfunding). The basic Book Publication Charge (BPC) is £1600 (excluding developmental-editing, copy-editing/professional proof-reading/indexing, added illustrations, if needed).
What is included in the BPC?
- Interior layout for paperback and e-book
- Cover design for paperback and e-book
- E-book conversion
- Project management, including social media marketing
- Printing and posting of a number of the Advance Review Copies (ARC)
- 10 printed copies for the author
- Worldwide distribution (including Amazon UK and Amazon US) with UK ISBN.
- Supplying compulsory copies for the libraries (British Library, National Library of Scotland, Trinity College Dublin, The National Library of Wales, The Library in University of Oxford and University of Cambridge)
We aim to provide the author with maximum flexibility, therefore if for example, you don’t need our interior layout or cover designs, you can find your own designers. In that case, the BPC will be reduced accordingly.
Biblio@Balestier submission/review platform in Three Words
We will guide you and share our professional opinions but the ideas from the author are our highest priority. We want to hear all your visions and incorporate them into the project. A combination of your vision and our experience will lead to creating the best quality book.
- Individual approach
We are not interested in producing unified books, we seek diversity. Therefore, we always bear in mind that each title is unique and has different needs. Whether you publish fiction, non-fiction, picture book, or academic title, we will make sure you are satisfied with the final work. We will also ensure that your book will get exactly what it needs and that you are not paying for anything your title doesn’t require.
We have created a package for you which includes everything your title needs to get published and distributed (cover design, interior layout, marketing, ISBN, etc.). However, if you decided you want to seek professionals outside Balestier Press to provide you with the design of your book, that’s no problem at all. Moreover, you retain total control over the rights of your book and can always license the publication rights to other publishers anytime.
Why publish with us?
- Already for five years, we have been publishing hidden gems of world literature (focused on Asian authors). You can also see an interesting collection of children’s and picture books in our portfolio. We know how to make a professional book and we want to hear your story and help you to share it.
- You get high royalties of 50% from the net income for all formats.
- You retain total control over the rights and all intellectual property of your book.
- You can decide on the list price of your book.
- Publishing under Balestier Press will give you a validation of quality.
- We include marketing of your book in our package. We will promote your book on our web page and social media platforms. We will help you with your publicity plan and search for reviewers for your book. We will also print and send the Advance Review Copies to the reviewers. To sum it up, we will try our best that your title gets the attention of the readers which it deserves.
- The book will be published in both print and ebook which will ensure that the book will get to all the important platforms and will reach as many potential readers as possible.
Do you have any questions?
Contact us on email@example.com
We are looking forward to reading your manuscripts!